2.17.2011

madrid and tenerife

After completing my internship at BIG, I took some time to travel and research for my upcoming thesis project. This took me to Madrid and Tenerife to see two of the buildings I have been investigating by Swiss architects Herzog & De Meuron. The first being a renovation of an old power plant in the heart of madrid. Here, the architects used the existing shell an envelope from which they could carve from and add to in order to accommodate the new gallery functions. The base of the old structure is almost entirely removed leaving a levitating brick box over a public plaza. The existing roofscape was adapted into a sculpted corten steel penthouse restaurant.




standing under the the corner of building brings on an intense feeling of weight. the choice to bring the landscape and ceilingscape within such a close proximity resulted in a very clear understanding and sense of the primary architectural move

next stop Tenerife. a small island off of the west coast of Africa within the Canaries, and still technically part of spain. the capital city of Santa Cruz is home to several H&dM projects- most recently the TEA. the project is a concrete slug... fantastic. one of my favorite buildings I have ever seen!





No comments:

Post a Comment